Monday, February 21, 2011

The future of Singapore - a view from a young Singaporean

Dear Mr Tan
  By chance,  I got to your blog as I was researching on cars.


 I never knew there are people like you, formerly from the government sector, who are willing to speak up on what is not right. I always thought our late President Ong Teng Cheong was the only man who did what was best for the people and for Singapore.


 I am 35 years old. Last year, I spoke to my friends and painted a vivid and shocking picture to my friends on the future of home grown Singaporeans. Most chose not to believe or hear the truth as they just could not cope with it.


 I started to do research on what was happening in Singapore - mainly on why some ministers left their post abruptly, on GIC and on the  real reasons contributing to the rising prices of HDB flats and properties. I learned that I had opened "a can of worms" 
I felt shocked, betrayed and saddened - most importantly, I felt sorry for the common folks that has been left behind during the process of achieving prosperity for the country.


Do you have the same picture as I am having or you have something else? Sigh......


In recent months, I heard a lot of weird comments from MM and his men. Are these done on purpose or is the fox tail showing? 
 It makes me stand firmer on not wanting to have children as I do not want them to carry the burden and losing their sense of identity as a Singaporean.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I really need to hear from a voice like you.


I told my wife, a Malaysian, we need to make our retire plans in her hometown as we can never retire early in Singapore with the inflation and cost of living moving up in this manner. I recalled someone said -  
retirement means death. Maybe this applies to our future Singaporeans?

Thanks for listening and hope to meet you in person soon.



REPLY
I agree with your observations. I also fear that we are losing the sense of being a Singaporean. I wrote about the Singapore before and after 1985. Do read my blog often to hear my views.


5 comments:

Gary said...

It is not impossible to have a govt that is truly for Singaporeans - just make your ballot paper appropriately. Just bear in mind the axiom: Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

In all leadership situations, there must ALWAYS be checks and balances. If there is a true hallmark of the evolution of human societies it is this - from societies and countries ruled by a handful of elites -of whatever colours - or by dictators whose powers are absolute.

The poor Malays of Malaysai are repressed by being kept ignorant and backward. In Singapore, we have the same thing going on albeit coated on the surface with a layer glit which we are made to accept as real gold!

sgcynic said...

Would really love to hear the reader's research findings
"on what was happening in Singapore - mainly on why some ministers left their post abruptly, on GIC and on the real reasons contributing to the rising prices of HDB flats and properties"

We are already reading many "cans of worms" on the Internet (eg. the Online Citizen) - they square with our daily experience and common sense. Not LKY and his ministers' high falutin logic!

Lye Khuen Way said...

Am hearten to hear from a 30+ Singaporean. Most of us Baby Boomers were wondering if any Y generation Singaporeans care about any current affairs, especially Singapore comings & goings. There is hope, if more can be led to stumble upon this & other blogs/TOC/Temasek Review. Then, let us see if the AG or the Law Minister cum Home Minister will suggest/propose any re-interpretation of the law.

Wealth Journey said...

Soon... this blog will also have to be gazetted... :P

Ed said...

I am from Gen Y and have been introduced to many blogs/TOC/TR after beginning to read TKL's blogs. I sincerely thank Mr Tan for all your efforts and have enjoyed reading your blogs.

My initial "I've opened a can of worms" feeling is gone by now and I have been trying to spread the message among my peers to read non-MSM. Sadly this has led me to realize that my peers are generally skeptical and naive towards these matters, and also there is the fear of talking about these issues.

It makes me wonder when will change ever arrive in Singapore. If there is no hope for change, my only option is to leave. Having said that, I will be following the coming elections closely to gauge the mindset of the electorate.

Blog Archive