Sunday, February 06, 2011

Overcharging for replacement parts

The remote controller for my Carrier air conditioner failed. The price for a replacement is more than $150. Fortunately, I was able to find a universal remote controller from Korea that worked with the Carrier air conditioner for $10.

It is quite unfair for a company to levy an excessively high charge for a spare part that they designed specifically for their product. The motor car manufacturers also charge a high price for their keys.

As the manufacturer chose to have a special design for the remote controller or their key, they spare parts should be considered as a monopoly item and should be subject to anti-monopoly laws. The law should dictate what is a fair price and what is an excessive price.

6 comments:

Solomon said...

I believe the manufacturer does not charge the distributors the high price. It is the distributors who jack up the price on those replacement parts.

I could get original replacement (for other items) from other distributor at a reasonable price.

yujuan said...

There may be an explanation for this trend of charging high prices for parts replacement. Electrical
products are getting cheaper by the year, and manufacturers/distributors try to make up for lower profits by pricing parts higher.

Unknown said...

Mr. Tan,
you are right. I was charges 500 for my mercedes spare key from a parallel importer.

Unknown said...

I have the same issue too. Care to share where you got your Korean universal controller. I have tried other brand of universal controller , but did not work for my carrier air con.

Thanks in advance

Tan Kin Lian said...

Hi Simon
Korean brand is Chunghop K1000E. Cost $10. Available at Ang Mo Kio Hub (but don't know the shop, as it was bought by my son).

Tan Kin Lian said...

Hi Simon
You can buy online here:
http://www.budgetgadgets.com/chunghop-universal-remote-control-k1000e-p-5592.html

Blog Archive