Thursday, May 26, 2011

Insurance for laptop

Dear Mr. Tan,
I was offered insurance for my laptop covering the following risk:
* accidental damage
* loss
* theft due to forceful break-in to the home or from locked vehicle.
It seems that if my house or vehicle was not locked and my laptop is not stolen, I cannot claim, but if I report my laptop as lost due to being left behind, I can claim. Why should I report theft (and have the claim rejected) when I could report accidental loss and can make a claim?


REPLY
You need to read carefully the definition of loss, as it is likely that the cover may be confined to certain type of loss and that carelessness may not be covered. I am not familiar with this cover, so I shall post it to get views of other people who have bought this type of policy before.

1 comment:

Solomon said...

This type of insurance probably is like travel insurance which is full of fine prints and impossible to claim in normal circumstances. Maybe you could use the money to buy additional year of warranty.

Blog Archive