Monday, August 20, 2012

Charge fair rates for roaming service



Not published by Strait Times.
16 August 2012 

Editor
Forum Page
Straits Times

My mobile operator charges $10 to $20 per megabyte for data consumed
on my mobile phone or tablet when roaming outside Singapore. They 
applied a cap of $15 per day.

I find these charges to be exorbitant and refused to use the roaming data
charges. I prefer to buy a local pre-paid SIM card and
pay charges at less less than $5 a day for unlimited usage. This is my way 
of telling the operator that they have to be fair to their customers, and should not 
charge an exorbitant rate.

I have also provided feedback to my mobile operator, but they refused 
to review the charges.

Recently, I found a mobile operator in Jakarta that offers a pre-paid service
that is valid for one year at a cost of $15.  The volume of data provided
is sufficient to serve my needs for one year. As I travel to Jakarta regularly, this 
is a big cost saving.

While the mobile operator in Singapore likes to fleece as much 
as they can from their customers, they should also realize that this business
strategy is not good for them over the long term, They should look for ways to
provide a service to their customer at a fair rate, and still make their fair margin
of profit.

Tan Kin Lian

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"mobile operator in Singapore likes to fleece as much
as they can from their customers"

Singtel has reduce the data bundle from 12 GB to 2 GB but the plan price is still the same. Fleece is the right word use as profit is more important then anything else.

Anonymous said...

JOKE

Why do mobile operators charge exorbitant rates?
Because they can.

Tan Kin Lian said...

Unfortunately, the Straits Times does not want to publish my letter.

Anonymous said...

You are fortunate that ST has published more than 50% of your letters.

They have never published mine.

Perhaps you are a well known person, while I am a nobody.

Anonymous said...

So, in your case the social media is important,because people can know through the social media what is right or wrong and make a judgement.

We cannot, and should not expect the pro-government mouthpiece to publish anything negative that amounts to slapping it's face.



Blog Archive