Monday, June 01, 2015

Avoid negative attributes


Dear Mr. Tan

Thank you for sharing your tips on how to change the mindset and attitude to become more employable. I agree with these tips. I have worked with Singaporeans workers over the past years and found that they have certain attitudes that need to be changed. Here are some of them:


1. Lack of initiative. They will not decide on their own or use what you say is "common sense". They want to get detailed instructions before they act. As if, they are afraid of making a mistake.
2. Not my job. They are not prepared to do anything that they perceive to be "not their job". There are a few employees in my office, and all of them refuse to clean the office, even the area that is in their workplace. They said that it is the job of the cleaner. You know, it is difficult to engage a cleaner for a small office.
3. Avoid responsibility. If there is a mistake, their reaction is to justify why the mistake was not made by them. I prefer them to find the solution, rather than to apportion blame.
REPLY
I have also observed these attributes. I wonder if it is a typical Singaporean character, or it applies to the younger generation in many countries? Could this be caused by the education system?

No comments:

Blog Archive