Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Electronic health records in USA will take a major step



This is an interesting development. America will be taking the lead to make electronic health records available to doctors and patients. It will improve the treatment of patients and reduce the duplication of tests.

The challenge faced in America of using the EHR is 50 times the challenge faced in Singapore. I hope that our Ministry of Health can monitor the development in America and be ready to implement these measures in Singapore.

One major issue blocking the sharing of EHR is unclarity about the application of privacy laws. This is addressed in the agreement.

When I was in Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, I was asked by the doctors and nurses half a dozen time - do I have any drug allergy? Do I have asthma? Do I have high blood pressure? Diabetes? Etc.

All of these questions are not necessary if they have access to my EHR.

Read more about the development in America here:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/29/new-pact-to-make-electronic-health-records-work-better.html

No comments:

Blog Archive