Thursday, April 12, 2018

It is difficult to pay stamp duty to the government

I wish to share episode #2 of the e-stamping of tenancy agreement.

I went to the IRAS website to do the e-stamping. I had to go through a lot of trouble. It asked for a lot of detailed information. I suspect that some of the information are not necessary.

The website was also buggy. On a few pages, I had to wait for several minutes to get a response. It is not the poor internet connection in my office, as I am using fibre optics. Furthermore, I do not have the problem surfing other websites. It is the buggy IRAS website.

Finally, I managed to complete the transaction and have to make payment.

It uses NETS. I have to read their detailed instruction on the type of browser to use, etc. Wow, do we really need all this kind of hassle?

I finally got through to DBS Bank. I provided by user id and password. Then the bank asked for my token. I did not have it.

As I was travelling for two days, I asked my tenant to make the payment. It is really his responsibility to pay for the e-stamping.

On my return from overseas, I asked my tenant if he had made the payment. He told me that he tried many times and could not get through. There was issue with the version of the browser that he used. He is IT savvy and much younger than me. He also faced this trouble. It is clearly the bad website that is designed.

Now, I have to pay payment using the DBS token in my home.

Why does it have to be so complicated to pay stamp duty to the government? Why can't the government allow payment by credit card?

Perhaps the government finds the credit card charges to be too high and want to avoid it? Why can't the government set reasonable limits on the credit card charges imposed by the banks?

I am convinced that Singapore is doomed under the government of Lee HL. Each new episode reinforces this pessimistic view.

Tan Kin Lian


Tan Kin Lian

No comments:

Blog Archive