Monday, February 18, 2019

What is the real problem with TuasSpring?

I have tried to find out the underlying problem with TuasSpring?

It was reported that the massive loss (of about $100 million a year) was caused by the weak wholesale electricity market.

I received some conflicting report that the electricity produced by this plant was mainly used for its own needs, i.e. to produce desalinated water.

There was no information about the amount of electricity that was supplied to the market.

I might have missed the information, but I did try to search for it from various sources, including the annual report.

I wonder if the real problem was caused by the production of water, i.e. the price for the desalinated water was contracted at a low price and is lower than the cost of production.

I also read a small mention that Hyflux signed a long term contract for the supply of gas. I wonder if the contracted price was too high, relative to the current market price.

Could Hyflux be suffering from this supply of gas contract?

I wonder if someone, who follow this issue more closely, can throw some light?

Tan Kin Lian

No comments:

Blog Archive