Saturday, May 30, 2020

Attacking people based on wrong assumptions


I want to share this story to show how evil some people can be. They do not check the facts. They make wrong assumptions and attack other people based on these assumptions.

Recently, I advertised for a software developer for a salary of $1,800 to $3,600. I offered the position to citizens, permanent residents and dependent pass holders.

The dependent pass holders are spouse of employment pass holders and are now living in Singapore. 

Although the job holder has to develop software based on the Microsoft .NET platform, I am prepared to take a person who does not have the working experience and provide training. 

Actually, the main duty is to provide support for the software platforms that have been developed. As this is not a full time job, I wanted the person to develop software as well.

I advertised on Facebook and on Career Future (which is operated by the Ministry of Manpower).

I did not get any single application from locals. No locals wrote to ask for more details of the job. 

I shared my experience on Facebook.

Several people criticized me for offering an inadequate salary. I cannot understand why they should take that view without knowing the facts. 

I received a few applications from foreigners who are now working in Singapore, including a dependent pass holder.

I interviewed the dependent pass holder. She is suitable for the job, although she does not have the required experience on the development platform. She has knowledge of the platform but not the actual working experience. She can be trained. She has excellent work attitude and is willing to learn. 

I offered her a hourly rate which she considered to be adequate. It worked out to a full time monthly salary in the range that I had indicated.

I would love to pay a higher salary, but I have to keep my expenses low to be within the revenue of my company.

I shared my experience on the difficulty of applying for a "letter of consent" in the MOM website. This is the same website that is used to apply for an employment pass, which commands a minimum salary of $3,600.

A few people assumed that I was employing a foreigner on an employment pass for a salary of $3,600 per month and attacked me for not offering the job to a local. They did not check the facts and are ready to attack somebody on their false assumptions.

I was actually employing a dependent pass holding at a much lower salary.

I would have preferred to give the same job to a local, if they take the trouble to find out what is required, and have a good work attitude.

I hope that the unemployed locals who found it difficult to get a job offer can learn from this episode. They need to have a positive work attitude and be willing to learn. They also need to understand that the employer can only pay them as well as the business can afford. They have to be an asset to the company.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on every body's head. Spoilt rotten only want high pay, aircon, easy and less work. Besides not easy to get a workforce from a small number of authentic Singaporeans.

Anonymous said...

In fact, my family has been contemplating migration for some time now. For the sake of sanity. Once in a while, we might be considered second class in a white Melbourne, but for trade-offs of cheaper spacious housing, car and a slower pace of life. There will be ugly people everywhere, but it seems they are becoming more prominent here. The never-ending of the paper chase. HDB living is torture on noise and privacy, and life is hell if one has bad neighbours. The driving here is horrendous. The always continuous upgrading. The wish for owning a second property has now become a sin. Once the old leaders leave one by one, the new ones are just more lip service and acting.
May 30, 2020 11:23 AM

Anonymous said...

I don't watch Korean dramas on Netflix. It is like everyone has undergone plastic surgery sought of everyone look similar and it is hard to differentiate who is who besides catching up on English subtitles.

Unknown said...

To 2.02pm post, how did u manage to secure a place in Melbourne, can share please

Anonymous said...

To Unknown. Making plans to visit friends and relatives for 17 days at the end of the year. Got a rough idea on the protocol as a few close friends already migrated there. We went to uni together here and still kept in touch. All seemed to have been happy over in Melbourne and will never consider coming back. In fact, two of the friends live in the same condo block. $ 1,100,000 for a four-bedroom 2000 sq. feet flat. Lots of Asians there. Food portions are really big, so normally, they being a bit smaller share one potion for two people. But the weather is a little cold. One has three children.>>>>>>>>>>>

Anonymous said...

If we don't support the war, does not mean that we support terrorists.

Anonymous said...

Accident-free roads last 2 months! Well, sought of!

Anonymous said...

We can be happy. Not everything is good, but to see good in everything.

Buddhism.

Anonymous said...

When confronting with the opening of the economy is when a wife and mother are both drowning at the same time, who are you to save first?

Blog Archive