Someone asked for my views on investing a lump sum in a single premium endowment policy. Is this a good plan?
This is how the policy works.
* The insurance company collect a single premium from you, say $10,000
* The money is invested in the life insurance fund
* A small portion of your premium is taken to buy the life insurance cover and meet the expenses (but these are relatively small)
* You will get a guaranteed return on your total savings at the end of the term, say 10, 15 or 20 years
* If the insurance fund earns more than the rate of interest used to calculate the guaranteed return, you can get an annual bonus
* the annual bonus may increase the payout on the maturity rate
The policy is usually able to give you a return of around 3% to 4% on your total investment, if you keep it to the maturity date. This comprise of the guaranteed portion and the non-guaranteed bonus. If you exclude the bonus entirely, the guaranteed return is around 2% per annum. (These figures apply to NTUC Income, and may be lower for other insurance companies).
The name of this product offered by NTUC Income is the Growth plan. It is popular. Over 100,000 people have invested in this policy in past years. You can read more about it in www.income.coop/faq
Other insurance companies offer similar products (under different names) but they usually provide a lower return to the policyholder.
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
02/11 - 02/18
- I like your blog, because it is plain
- I have completed my last day in NTUC Income
- I need to be protected for dread disease
- How to save for the future
- Low Fertility Rate of 1.2
- Growth Policy and Growth Fund
- Early withdrawal of Single Premium Endowment (Grow...
- Policyholder make monthly withdrawal from the Grow...
- Single premium endowment
- Suitable jobs for seniors
- Moral responsibility of a insurance company
- Provide adequate financial security for your famil...
- Best wishes for the Lunar New Year
- Join a Car Pool
- Get a contractor to repair the leak
- Do not understand life insurance?
- What to do when your term insurance expires?
- Encourage more people to save for their retirement...
- Before you go for expensive medical treatment ...
- Tips on Medical Insurance
- You can comment in my blog
- My experience on public transport
- Do not be locked into a poor return
- Compare Ideal plan with unit trust
- Big Trumpet Folder
- High cost of life insurance products
- Why are financial planners more successful in othe...
- A flexible financial plan
- Philp Yeo - Lee Wei Ling Debate
- ▼ 02/11 - 02/18 (29)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)