Thursday, April 12, 2007

Make it easy for the customer to reach you

My PDA device had some trouble with the internal battery. I wanted to call the helpline of the manufacturer.

I visited the website of the manufactuer to get information. I had a lot of difficulty:

* the website does not show the contact telephone in the home page
* I had to search through many webpages
* Some of the webpages were slow in loading, as they insist on showing some video (which I do not need)

I found a webpage which was supposed to help me to find a reseller. I had to answer many questions into a form for the search. When I click on "submit", there was no response for a few minutes. The database server hung.

It seems that they do not want to talk to a customer. Instead, they impose a form to chase the customer away.

I hope that all corporate websites can be made friendly, easy to access, and helpful to their customers. The most important information is a 24 X 7 contact number, e-mail address, and a physical address with operating hours. They should aim to welcome a customer contact.

2 comments:

Khiat Han Hwee Adrian said...

I share your view totally. I had faced many frustrating moments with the Customers Service no. as well. They are interested in selling but not serving.
I had shared my recent experience in my blog
http://akhiat.blogspot.com/

Monsoon said...

It is the norm now all these enterprises try to build a hugh barrier and make contact with them difficult if not impossible unless you are buying something from them. Services, as far as possible is to be avoided in order to remain competitive, reduce expenses and make bigger profits. Since most of the big enterprises have such barriers, consumers have to endure with this problem.

I suggest if someone could start a suitable forum, blog or website to list out these enterprises and if they manage to get through the barriers, publicised the method to help others in getting through.

Those enterprises which give good services can be highlighted so they can be supported and encouraged.

Such a forum, blog or website can become a communication centre, act as a mediator and generate ideas how to improve the relationship between the enterprises and their customers. It would serves the interest of the consumers and the public at large.

Perhaps CASE or some suitable consumer advocates would be interested to establish such a forum or website? It may even be a profitable venture as there may be a potential market for such services? Could this be of interest to our local business undergraduates doing their thesis or project studies?

Blog Archive