Friday, October 05, 2007

Taking the MRT for a gala dinner

I was invited to a gala dinner. The dress code was lounge suit.

I had the option to drive to Raffles City. I decided not to. I was not sure if the road was congested or it was difficult to find a parking space.

My wife drove me to the station to take the MRT. To avoid being out of place, I carried the jacket in my hand. In the evening, the train was half filled. It was a comfortable and fast ride.

The return journey was also quite pleasant.

I was probably among the very few guests at the gala dinner that came by train.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think people are not that self conscious. it is a common sight to see people in tie and suit taking train. If it can save you all the hassle of looking for a car park and on top of it money, why not. I used to know of a CEO taking train too. You know one of the famous Yeos , a CEO of a company, used to take bus to office.

Tan Kin Lian said...

I have taken many train rides. It is quite out of place.

Maybe, I shall pay more attention later on, and see if there are indeed many people in suits in the train in Singapore.

It will be great if more people in suits or CEOs take the train and bus.

Anonymous said...

Taking public transport may not necessarily reflect status or wealth. There may be high net worth people among them but you can't tell because they don't dress to reflect it. A person in suit may not be a CEO and a CEO can have simple dressing. A person who drives a Mercs may have cash flow problem. Hence take things too much at face value you get hoodwinked or struggle to maintain it. I for one take public transport and live in HDB flat but my bank account is 7 digits, partly contributed also by my lifestyle.

Thomas Phua's Blog said...

I used to take MRT if possible then riding my bike or driving my car for such function.

Sometime parking is so headache that one can hardly fine a lot until many rounds the car park, especially on weekends in Marina area.

Worst, if one is not careful, after dinner, forget when the car is parked.

Of course another advantage is can have a few more glasses and wobble to the train for a good journey home.

- Thomas Phua

Blog Archive