Thursday, June 19, 2008

Harrassment by lawyer acting for third party

Dear Mr. Tan,
It my pleasure to see such a senior and high ranking person who is willing to contribute your knowledge and experience to help public continuously after your retirement. You offer an excellent channel for ordinary people such as me to seek help on problems related to insurance.

In February, my car grazed another car at a turning point in a car park. Both of us have made reports to our insurance company accordingly.


After that, I received three letters, pertaining to the claim issues, from a lawyer appointed by the third party. The first letter is to me, the second is to my insurance company and copied to me. However, the third one in June is to me and inform me that they have filed a civil claim loss and damage. The proceedings is against me.

My insurance agent always told me those are all normal procedures until the last letter while she asked me to collect the Writ myself and then pass to insurance company. I am not sure whether it is the right way for me to do so, is there any legal impact?

Should the appointed solicitors of the insurance company accept service of the Writ of Summons on my behalf instead of me? What are the possible consequences if the issue is escalated to Court? Can I get back my insurance premium if I have to present in the Court and compensate the third party? Who should pay the legal charges?
BH


REPLY
Your insurance company is required to handle the third party claim. After you have informed your insurer about the accident and notified the third party about the identity of your insurer, there should be no need for the lawyer acting third party to harrass you with these matters. I suggest that you should lodge a complaint with the Law Society and let them decide if the lawyer is acting in a professional manner.

It is all right for you to accept the writ and pass it to your insurer to handle the third party claim. Your insurance company will pay the legal expenses as well.

No comments:

Blog Archive