Monday, August 04, 2008

What is a financial planner?

Q4: Does MAS regulate all financial planners? What is the difference between a financial planner and a financial adviser?

A: MAS regulates firms and persons that give advice on investment products to consumers. MAS does not regulate tax and estate planning activities.

Under the FAA, only firms licensed as a FA and firms that are exempt FAs can use the term "financial adviser". This helps you identify whether you are receiving financial advice from an entity regulated by MAS. MAS does not restrict the use of titles such as "financial planner", "financial analyst" or "financial consultant". You should be aware that persons who use such titles may or may not be regulated by MAS. You can get information on the list of FAs regulated by MAS by visiting the MAS website at under "Financial Institutions Directory".

This advice, and other useful tips, can be found in this webpage:

1 comment:

zhummmeng said...

Choose your financial planner from The FINANCIAL PLANNING ASSOCIATION OF SINGAPORE (FPAS). Ask for help if you have no one in mind.If you desire a planner from a particular company you can ask for help.

Blog Archive