Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Unjustified billings

Here are two letters on the invoices sent out by Singapore Information Services to businesses that did not subscribe for their services:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_558527.html
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,396946,00.html

Based on my common sense understanding of the law, a business that send out an invoice without justification could be considered as cheating. They do  not have the power to impose a service on another party without the other party's consent and to bill the party for that service.  I hope that our attorney general's office will study this issue to see if any criminal offence has been committed.

I hope that they are not too busy studying how to frame a charge for illegal hawking against some people who sell the newsletters of political parties.

Tan Kin Lian

2 comments:

Chee Ming said...

Reminds me of a case a few years ago when a man does not have a television set or a radio in his possession, but the MDA demanded him to pay $100+ for the license fee.

Parka said...

I wish someone would just slap these companies with a lawsuit.

If I receive such offers to opt out, I'll be sure to raise hell at their offices.

Blog Archive