Sunday, July 11, 2010

Survey: TV subscription for the World Cup 2010

Please join this survey.

Interim results, based on 77 replies
38 respondents subscribed for the 2006 World Cup and 11 for the 2010 World Cup. This reflected a drop of 71% in subscription.
Of the 66 who did not subscribe for the 2010 World Cup, 64% said that the price is too high and 56% want to boycott the subscription to show their unhappiness. 24% said that they would have subscribed, if the price is $30 or less.
Clearly, there has been much unhappiness, leading to a significant drop in subscription. I wonder if Singtel and Starhub would be releasing the information on the drop in subscriptions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been soon unhappy about the manner in which Singtel handled this outrage by the people...The CEO should be sacked for the statement that he made it just cost less than a cup of coffee, THAT WAS NOT THE POINT!!

Phlippines a non soccer nation, provided the service free to their cable subscriber... BOTH Singtel and Starhub should have written off this "nightmare", that they created for the people, I boycotted the service for this world cup.

Thank God I am in the Philippines going to a High end Pub
(Fridays's) to watch the game with friends and I have to spend just a minumum of S$10 to watch the game ( will get me 4-5 beers)

Anonymous said...

dividing the cost over the total number of matches is not valid for me. i need to work, so i know i wont be watching all the matches, only selective one. looking at the timing, in the early stage, most of the exciting matches are at weekdays 2:30am. so i know i will watch even lesser matches. therefore the cost per match is even much higher.

of coz i can still afford it but what for? to help to push up singtel/starhub revenue? no thanks, i rather give up this passion and spend the money on my children.

i have also cancel my sport subscription to starhub, so it is like no more EPL for me! just hope i still can catch it with the free to air channels from our friendly neighbour countries. got money also not to spend like carrot!

Anonymous said...

Ever since EPL and World Cup move to Cable TV, I did not subscribe to it. So weekend is family and kids for me.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that there are rational people who will not let Starhub and Singtel dictate and charge whatever they like, thinking we will continue to pay through our noses.

I never subscribe, but I still get to watch the matches at home. For those not too fussy about picture quality, why not try LiveTV or ATDHE.net, among others, on your broadband internet, for live streaming of all kinds of sporting events.

Blog Archive