Friday, August 13, 2010

My views

A reader made a comment that the views in my blog and website reflect my bias on investing and insurance.

Of course, it does! It is my opinion. I like to express my views and my reader can make their own judgement, whether they accept or reject my view. This is the purpose of expressing an opinion.

I want to encourage Singaporeans to have a view and to express the view. They should not follow their bosses or leaders blindly. It is easy to have a view when you are clear about the values that govern your character.

Please read this document to understand my five values and how these values shape my social and political choices, and how they agree or disagree with the policies of specific political parties. I live by my values and do not take a view to be "anti-" or "pro-" any political party or person.

Even if I disagree with another view, I do not attack that person or that view. Each person is entitled to his or her own view and deserve to be respected.

Tan Kin Lian

4 comments:

C H Yak said...

One problem is that people don't appreciate problems until they are adversely affected.

People who give such comments may also have direct interests, which they will also not declare.

Unknown said...

Very well said. In fact though I disagree with many of the PAP policies, I do agree with some and some to a certain degree. It is based on the values I hold. I also disagree with some of the opposition policies too.

walau

Unknown said...

Yep, we can agree to disagree.

For example, I mostly agree with Mr Tan's views on insurance. But I generally disagree that his website design is good enough for businesses and governments to adopt.

AB said...

"I want to encourage Singaporeans to have a view and to express the view".

In general and in theory, this is the right thing to do. However in the Singapore context this becomes very subjective and history has shown, could be even dangerous.

You hold a certain view and you express it. Another person or organisation holds a totally different view of the matter, and if this entity has power and/or resources, he can choose to interpret your view as defamatory, as an attack, or even worse.

Until this situation is resolved it is very difficult to get people to have a view and express a view.

Blog Archive