Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Good-bye to Uber

I like to say a special word of good-bye to Uber. They are not longer operating.

This leaves Grab to be the dominant player in the ride booking platform.

A few other players have announced their intention to enter the market. However, it will be tough for them to compete with Grab, which now holds a dominant position.

I do not complaint about the virtual monopoly that Grab holds in this space.

As a rider, I have the choice of taking a bus or taking a taxi at the stand or on the road. I can also call the taxi company at their call center and book a ride.

I know that I can also book a ride using the app provided by the taxi company, such as Comfort. However, their app is likely to be difficult to use. So, it will be back to their call center.

I can still call Grab for my monthly trip to the airport. if their price is more than the taxi fare, I will call the taxi company.

I still have the choice of asking a family member to drive me to the airport, right?

I do not think that Grab can make a lot of profit from their dominant market position. The riders have their choice. The drivers also have their choice.

We will now be watching the next phase of the evolution of this market place.

Tan Kin Lian

No comments:

Blog Archive