Sunday, January 05, 2020

My views about speculating in shares

Someone was worried that readers may follow my posts and think that it is easy to make money by investing in shares.

If these people are so idiotic, they deserve to lose their savings.

Investing in shares is risky. It requires a lot of hard work to select the shares to invest in. Even after you have selected a good share, it is a constant struggle to decide if the current price is too high or too high and whether you should buy more shares or sell some of your holdings.

Many people make mistakes in trading and they lose a lot of money.

Here are my tips on trading:

a) Never follow blindly to what other people say. They can give you a tip, but you must make your own study. If you are too lazy, don't trade shares, NEVER.

b) Trade with your spare cash, and NEVER with margin. When the share turns bad, you can afford to hold it and wait for it to recover. If you are on margin, you have to top up with more money. If you don't have, you have to take a loss.

I have shared with you some shares that I made money. My best share is Tesla. But it is highly speculative and need close monitoring. It is only easy on hindsight. It is not easy going forward.

I have realized the profit on two shares - Country Garden and China Molybdenum.

But some of my shares do not do well. I am now holding on to two shares that now show a big loss - China Sinopec and Koh Brothers.

China Sinopec is paying a dividend of 9% on the current price. I can afford to hold it for the dividend. it may take a long time for the share to recover to my cost price, but I am willing to wait, because this company is very big to fail.

Will I buy more shares at the current price? Maybe, and to enjoy the good dividend yield.

I have a big investment in Koh Brothers. I am waiting for the next financial result to come out in February. I hope that it shows an improvement in profit. If it does, the share price should jump at least 50%. If it gets worse, I have to wait another year or two.

The dividend yield is 2.7%. It is okay, compared to 1% on fixed deposit. The share price is only one third of the value of the assets. It can increase 3 times to the asset value if the company shows a good profit.

Can Koh Brothers go bankrupt? It can. But I don't think it will occur.

Remember, when you read my post, some of my shares make money and some lose money. It is not easy to make money. It requires a lot of hard work, and more importantly, it needs LUCK.

No comments:

Blog Archive