Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My name, Liang

My father gave me the name, Liang. It means "bright". The Chinese character is shown on the right panel of this blog. It is not common for males to have this name.

I was delighted to learn, recently, that there is another personality in Chinese history, that has this name. He is Zhuge Liang.

Here is a short description, taken from Wikipedia:

Zhuge Liang was one of the greatest Chinese strategists of the Three Kingdoms era, as well as a statesman, engineer, scholar, and inventor.

Zhuge is an uncommon two-character compound family name. His name (or even just his surname) has become synonymous with intelligence and wit in Chinese culture.

Some books rumored to be written by Zhuge Liang can be found today, for example the Thirty-six Strategies of Zhuge Liang, and Mastering the Art of War are two that are generally available. Supposedly, his mastery of infantry and cavalry formation tactics were unrivalled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, my father gave me the same name.

Anonymous said...

I can see many bright sparks.

Blog Archive