Sunday, August 09, 2009

Nongsa, Batam is now a safe place

I visited Nongsa, the most populated town of Batam, over the weekend. I was there more than 15 years ago. That time, I felt uneasy moving around the place.

I was surprised to find the town to be quite well developed now. I felt rather safe moving visiting various places in the town. There was no feeling that bad characters were hanging around.

I asked my guide, a Singaporean who visits his family in Batam every weekend, if Nongsa is now a safe place. He said that Nongsa is now safe, and the crime rate is now low. Pickpocketing is now rare. If any pickpocket is caught, the local people would punish the culprits as they gave a bad name to Batam and scare Singaporeans from visiting the island. The crime gangs has now move to Johore Bahru to operate there - which explains its current bad reputation.

It is enjoyable to visit Nongsa, Batam.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that Nongsa was the most popluated town in Batam ? It is low density indeed.

Tan Kin Lian said...

My siblings and my wife's siblings are planning to go to Batam in two separate trips.

Blog Archive