Motion: "This house believes that Europeans would be better off with fewer holidays and higher incomes"
Do Europeans take too many holidays?
We have a winner in our debate on vacation time. The team arguing against the motion has won the debate convincingly, with 79% against 21% of the votes. This house does not believe that "Europeans take too much holiday."
The voting record shows the weight of opinion has been consistently 4:1 against the motion from the outset, though the pro team's Robert J Gordon did shift his share of the vote by a few percentage points in the course of the debate. The final vote (and the many laments from the floor by overworked Americans) shows that most readers believe lost income is a price worth paying for extra holidays.
For his part, John de Graaf, arguing against the motion, eloquently made the case that there is more to life than work and money. His argument that Europe has established a better balance between work and leisure was bolstered by the contributions from guest commentators.
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
01/03 - 01/10
- New York Times: 31 places to visit in 2010
- Financial planning - learn before you leave school...
- Rubik Cube
- NSRCC: Planning your finances early
- Home purchase and financial planning
- Are home buyers prudent?
- Financial planning for a child
- Survey on pricing of HDB flat
- Asset enhancement
- Stabilising the market
- Improve transparency of prices of new HDB flats
- S'pore workers clock up longest work hours: ILO
- Practical Guide on Financial Planning - additional...
- Creative destruction - mobile phone and financial ...
- TKL Practical Guide to Financial Planning
- How food is produced
- A new pricing formula for HDB flats
- GST exemption - penalty or benefit
- Price of new HDB flat
- Investing savings of $10,000
- Financial Planning for Ladies
- Health insurance for an aging population
- Unfair application of exclusion
- Economist debate: European Holidays
- UK Companies Investigation Branch
- The benefits of social insurance
- Responsible communication
- US Debt - a Ponzi scheme?
- ▼ 01/03 - 01/10 (28)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)