From UK Daily Mail
2 January 2010
Robert Burns has a blunt message for cheats who set up companies to con the public. 'There is an organisation that can take action against you and put you out of business,' he warns. That organisation is the Companies Investigation Branch. You may not have heard of it - much of its work is confidential - but it may have quietly taken action to stop you falling victim to sharp practice.
Some traditional types of malpractice recur. One involves 'land banking', where plots of land are purchased and sold to investors on the basis that planning permission will be granted.
'We find time and time again that the prospects of planning permission are south of zero,' says Burns.
'In one case, the land had everything wrong with it from a development point of view. It was green belt, a heritage site and was on a flood plain. There was just about every conceivable obstacle.'
- ► 2020 (216)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
01/03 - 01/10
- New York Times: 31 places to visit in 2010
- Financial planning - learn before you leave school...
- Rubik Cube
- NSRCC: Planning your finances early
- Home purchase and financial planning
- Are home buyers prudent?
- Financial planning for a child
- Survey on pricing of HDB flat
- Asset enhancement
- Stabilising the market
- Improve transparency of prices of new HDB flats
- S'pore workers clock up longest work hours: ILO
- Practical Guide on Financial Planning - additional...
- Creative destruction - mobile phone and financial ...
- TKL Practical Guide to Financial Planning
- How food is produced
- A new pricing formula for HDB flats
- GST exemption - penalty or benefit
- Price of new HDB flat
- Investing savings of $10,000
- Financial Planning for Ladies
- Health insurance for an aging population
- Unfair application of exclusion
- Economist debate: European Holidays
- UK Companies Investigation Branch
- The benefits of social insurance
- Responsible communication
- US Debt - a Ponzi scheme?
- ▼ 01/03 - 01/10 (28)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)