Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A terrible place - Singapore

Singapore is a terrible place to do business. I have to pay $3,500 to a professional engineer to certify that the renovation to my office meets "fire safety standards". This is a ransom fee for a simple piece of work, but I paid. My appointed contractor had to get the stamp from the professional engineer and to apply for a permit from the management office (of the developer) before he can start work. After wasting time for more than three weeks, the contractor still cannot start work. Meanwhile, time is running out, as I have to vacate my current office.

Besides paying a big ransom, I have to suffer a long delay. I had written to the Pro-Enterprise Panel on this matter. They replied that they were consuling the relevant department but did not come back with a reply after several weeks. Is this just for show?

Tan Kin Lian

2 comments:

Spur said...

My personal feel is that the various stat boards, ministries and govt bodies are becoming arrogant and high-handed when dealing with normal citizens. After over 45 years of continuous rule by PAP, the civil service have been brainwashed and mistaken into thinking that they are of the govt and that PAP machinery is their sole boss and paymaster. Most of PAP think that the PAP, the 3 branches of govt, the civil service, and related semi-govt entities are actually part of the same organisation with over-riding rule and guidance from the top PAP members. Worse still is that many senior civil servants also think the same way.

We need to send them a message on polling day in order to improve their customer service to the people.

Tan Kin Lian said...

The Pro-Enterprise Panel secretariat has now replied to my emails, and on two occasions today.

The delay of three weeks was caused by getting approval from the professional engineer (who has to spend time to justify the $3,500) and to get the approval from the management office of the developer, who do not answer phone calls or reply to e-mails.

Meanwhile, they do not give permission for my contractor to start work. I have written a letter to the directors of this developer and will be publishing my letter.

What a terrible place Singapore has become. Even a commercial company can operate in such an arrogant manner.

Blog Archive