Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dr. Tony Tan's participation in the Presidential Election

Statement by Tan Kin Lian
http://www.easyapps.sg/tklep/Frame.aspx?ID=29


I welcome the decision by Dr. Tony Tan to contest the Presidential Election. His participation will give a wider range of choices for the people of Singapore.

Dr. Tony Tan has been closely connected with the PAP Government for about 20 years. He had served as a cabinet minister in many ministries during his illustrious political career and had been closely associated with many of the policies that were implemented by the Government. He would represent a good choice for Singaporeans who prefer to see continuity in the past and current policies of the Government.

I will participate in the election to offer a different choice to the people. I have never served as a Member of Parliament or a Cabinet Minister in the Government. Over the past years, I have expressed my views on many occasions in the media and through other channels on issues concerning the livelihood and welfare of the people.

I believe that I am in closer touch with the ordinary people in Singapore and can get a better sense of their views and aspirations. I would be able to reflect these aspirations in exercising the powers of the President in safeguarding the assets and the CPF savings and other duties of the office. In particular, I would be able to provide a different perspective and act independently of the Government in the decisions that have to be made by the President. 

In carrying out these duties, I will be guided by my values of honesty, fairness, positive attitude, courage and public service and by the views of the people that I will actively seek.

Tan Kin Lian

2 comments:

Leong said...

Mr. Tan,

You have my vote as I believe you have in you to be a truly people's president who is able to be the voice of the man in the street and typical heartlander.

May Rulers of the World Be Righteous said...

Dr. Tony Tan as Elected President is like appointing the Chief Financial Officer of a company after his immediate resignation to become its External Auditor.

What do you think?

Blog Archive