Saturday, June 25, 2011

President as a unifying force

From the Straits Times: What do you think DPM Teo means when he says a president has to be ... a "unifying factor at a higher level for all Singaporeans"? 

Reply: I also agree that the President should be a unifying factor for all Singaporeans. This statement was first made by Dr. Tan Cheng Bock and I am happy to share the same sentiment. 

I believe that Singaporeans can be unified by sharing similar values. I want to encourage them to embrace the values of values of honesty, fairness, positive attitude, courage and public service. Many people have told me that they like these values and are happy to support them. 

My actions will be guided by these values. For example, I want to be honest and positive in expressing the concerns expressed by many Singaporeans about safeguarding their CPF savings and the reserves of Singapore. I want to help to address their concerns can be addressed in a constructive way. One way is for the President's Office to issue an annual report that the citizens can understand. This will help in the communication and educating the citizens.

I also shared my views about public service - to address the concerns expressed by many Singaporeans about the high salaries earned by the top leaders, including the President. I want them to know that I am not contesting this office for the high remuneration and will be willing to donate a significant part of the President's salary towards charity, if I am elected. (I hope that my personal views on this issue does not cause any discomfort to other government leaders - as I recognise that they have financial needs and priorities that are different from me). 

I respect and support the timely action taken by the Prime Minister to set up a review committee to review the salaries of the top leaders and hope that it will, to a large degree, address this concern of the people. I will do my best to get the people to understand and accept the positive actions that are being taken now.

I believe that the people of Singapore will feel engaged, committed and proud to be Singaporeans, if they feel that they have a voice and that it is being heard. I hope that the office of the President can play a part to provide this channel - although I recognise that other channels are also being developed. To support this initiative, I have suggested the concept of the President's personal council - which I will be giving more 
thought to in the weeks ahead. 

Tan Kin Lian


No comments:

Blog Archive