Thursday, April 24, 2008

12 months bond for training a new employee

Dear Mr. Tan

I surf the net and found about your blog, that has short article about training bond. I would like to know, would it be possible if i request for some sample from you for my reference. How is the calculation being made, terms and conditions and what are the procedures involve. I m still searching for more samples on the net but not much can be found. Hope you can help me with that. Thank you.

REPLY

When I was in NTUC Income, we introduced a condition in the letter of appointment. It reads as follows (not the exact words):

QUOTE
In the event that the employee leaves the service for any reason during the first 12 months from the commencing date of service, the employee agrees to reimburse the employer an amount equal to one month's salary to compensate the employer for the cost of recruiting and training the employee.
UNQUOTE

The wording is not legally tight, but it is generally respected by the employee. In practice, the employer may waive this requirement under special circumstances. Most employees will think carefully before they join the company, and will only accept the employment if they are quite sure that they will stay for at least one year, or longer. It helps to weed out the employees that accept a job and continue to look for another job.

I hope that you find my comments to be helpful. Wish you all the best.

No comments:

Blog Archive