Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cysts and cancer

Mr. Tan,
I found some breast lumps and was referred to TTSH for followup. The lumps turned out to be cysts, which are very common in women and which have no correlation to the incidence of subsequent breast cancer.

When I bought a H&S policy from income, I declared this verbally to the agent, but the agent decided that it was trivial and thus did not write down on the declaration form. Would you advise me to do a re-declaration?

How reasonable are the actuaries in assessing the risk of cancer in case of a benign condition like cysts. Why is it that the actuaries cannot accept doctor's letters stating that the presence of a benign condition does not increase the risk of cancer? I had to keep fighting for coverage on another condition I had and even then, NTUC didn't give me full coverage.

REPLY
It is better for you to make a re-declaration now. Tell the insurance company that you did disclose it to the agent who decided that it did not need to be recorded. If the company accepts the declaration, then it is good for all parties. If not, the company has to deal with the agent.

I am not familiar with the probably of cyst and its impact on cancer. Sorry, I cannot comment on this matter. Let me ask a doctor.

No comments:

Blog Archive