Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Independent, impartial medical advice

If you have a family member who is very sick and it will cost $100,000 to treat the patient with a 1% chance of recovery, would you spend this money?

Many people will say "yes". A human life is priceless and cannot be measured in money terms.

Think again. Is the human life worth $10 million? Remember, the cost has increased 100 times due to the low chance of survival. Will the person that is saved, really enjoy life in the future? Does it matter that the patient is already elderly? Does it matter that the life that is saved will continue to suffer, due to some continuing disability?

Should the $100,000 be used to look after the future well-ebing of other members of the family? Should a family suffer from a lifetime of debt, in their vain effort to save the life?

It is difficult for the family to take this type of decision. They should not rely on the advice of the doctor who is treating the patient, as the doctor will have a serious conflict of interest. A large part of the money is paid for the doctor's fees.

There is a need for independent, impartial medical advice. The family should be told about the likely cost, the chance of survival, and the other options (including the right to die in dignity and with love from the family). They should be counselled that they are not neglecting their duty by taking a difficult decision to safeguard the financial welfare of the living.

Tan Kin Lian

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How to turn down the chance of treating a loved one, even though the chance of recovery is only a percent and a fortune has to be spent?

Anonymous said...

3 years ago, I rushed my mother to a hospital who fainted suddenly. After examined my mother at the emergency room and going through her record, the doctor asked me whether I want him to save my mother. I was in shock to his question and reactively said yes. I undesrtand the doctor's concern, my mother can hardly swallow, she was bedridden and had bedsore that can not heal and at the endstage of Alzheimer. Later that night, I regeretd, I should let her go, I should not prolong her suffering. She was hospitalised for about 5 weeks, she passed away in her sleep few weeks later after being discharged from hospital. The doctor was right

Looking after a sick loved one challenges you mentally, financially and physically.

Sobri said...

I think the most important question to ask is:
What would be the quality of life if the treatment succeeds?

If I were the very sick person, and even after the very expensive treatment I would still be a semi-vegetable, then it is time that I leave things to God and accept my fate. There is no point prolonging the suffering and the inevitable.

Anonymous said...

A long-time "vegetable" who has dozen of children above 50 years old. The elder son already gone.

On day of infection, the elder daugther (60+ nurse) rush the "vergetable" mother to hospital and survive. Days later, a son (50+) got heart attack and stop work!

If such a vergetable case happened in a farm like Thailand, the patient would pass away peacefully after infection. Why?

There is no ambulance available in countryside !

Anonymous said...

Do we have the ultimate right to decide whether we should be continue living under those special circumstances such as in a semi-vegetable, in coma, in severe stroke, ... etc?

Anonymous said...

Before my mother passed away I prayed everyday she would have a good death, I did not want her to suffer, the best death was to go in one's sleep. Once she no longer enjoyed her favourites durian and prawns, eating for her became a struggle. I prayed extra hard she did not have to suffer, luckily she went peacefully, for that I am very thankful.

Anonymous said...

If you watch your child grow up or the sacrifice that your wife put through just so that the family is well taken care of - how can you measure a human life with dollar and cents?

The question should be: for whom do we live for - have you done your very, very best for him/her? Only when you look deep into your own heart can you find the answer.

hongjun said...

It is difficult to be clear-minded especially when your loved ones are sick and dying.

hongjun

Blog Archive