Friday, November 12, 2010

Medishield for a pensioner

Dear Mr Tan
Can you advise if there is a need for a pensioner to purchase Medishield. As a pensioner, the medical scheme covers 85% of the medical charges. I am worried that it may come a time that I may not be able to pay the 15% medical charges if the amounts are very large.

REPLY
Frankly, I don't see why the bill should be so large. If the cost of treatment is really expensive, you can opt for B2 ward where the cost is capped. The 15% can be paid from Medisave savings. In fact, if you have a Shield plan, it is complicated (with deductible and co-payment) that it may not cover your 15% co-payment. So, you may be paying money for nothing.

1 comment:

mary said...

Hi Mr Tan,
I don't quite understand how pension works with shield plans (mine is Incomeshield) and hope you can provide some information.

My husband is on pension scheme and his dependents can claim up to 60% of hospital bills.
If my bill is $10,000 and after claiming $6,000 from his pension scheme, do I still need to pay the deductibles and co-insurance portion and thus would not be able to claim the full balance of $4000 from Income?

Thank you.

Blog Archive