Friday, October 26, 2018

Example of an impressive civil service

I wrote to the Malaysian minister of transport through his ministry's website giving suggestions about their KTM train service.

His ministry referred the matter to KTM. I received an acknowledgement from KTM within a few days. It promised a detailed reply soon.

The detailed reply came. It was headed "Without Prejudice". I checked for the meaning of this phrase. It meant that the communication cannot be used in a court of law. The KTM officer does not want to the committed to the reply. That is fair.

The officer really made an attempt to address the issues that I raised. It was helpful. I replied to her that "I am satisfied with her reply".

She replied immediately to thank me, and addressed me as "sir".

I have a positive impression of the Malaysian civil service. They really serve the public with respect.

Our Singapore civil service must emulate their practice. Our ministers should set the example.

Tan Kin Lian

No comments:

Blog Archive