Sunday, May 04, 2008

The less I drink, the more drunk I get

On the lighter side:

A beer addict orders 5 glasses of beer. He gulped it down. Then he ordered 4 glasses, and gulped it down. He ordered 3 glasses and gulped it down. Then he ordered 2 glasses.

The bar tender said, "I have never seen a customer drink beer in this manner. It's surprising." The addict said, "Yes. I am also surprised. It seems that the less beer I drink, the more drunk I get."

Larry Haverkamp said, "The beer addict is focusing on the first derivative and not on the absolute quantum". Can you understand Larry?

3 comments:

EC said...

Instead of looking at the total number of glasses he has drunk, he looks at the decreasing trend (5 to 1)...
Is this of any lesson in investments too? I think it does though I'm unsure how to put it in the best way...

Anonymous said...

The first derivative of an equation is usually used to measure the change in economic value (i.e. drunkenness in this case) associated with a unit change in a chosen variable (i.e. concumption of beer).

In another words, this addict is focusing more on his drunken state per glass (or set of glasses) rather than his total consumption.

Anonymous said...

It's like the 4D punter. He buys $80 this week, never strike; he gets poorer. He buys $40 following week, never strike; he gets poorer. He buys $20 following week, never strike; he gets poorer. He buys $10 following week, lo' and behold, he strikes $100! He thinks that he won 1 to 10 ($10 paying off $100), but he forgets that he spent $150 total.

Blog Archive